Daimler Trucks North America LLC (DTNA) is recalling certain model year 1998-2002 Thomas Built Buses Saf-T-Liner Conventional, 2000-2002 Saf-T-Liner ER, 2000-2002 Saf-T-Liner MVP-EF, 1998-1999 Vista, 2003 Saf-T-Liner FS65, 2013 Saf-T-liner C2, 2000-2002 Saf-T-Liner MVP-ER, 2013 Saf-T-Liner HDX. In the affected vehicles, the stem that connects the outside emergency door handle to the emergency door opening mechanism may corrode.
If the stem corrodes, the door handle could detach from the emergency door opening mechanism, delaying the opening of the door and the evacuation of the bus. In the event of an emergency, this may increase the risk of injury to the bus occupants.
DTNA will notify owners, and dealers will either replace the stems or protect them against corrosion, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on July 29, 2016. Owners may contact DTNA customer service at 1-800-547-0712. DTNA’s number for this recall is FL-713.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V395000
Potential Number of Units Affected: 23,942
Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)
- THOMAS SAF-T-LINER CONVENTIONAL 1998,2000-2002
- THOMAS VISTA 1998-1999
- THOMAS BUILT BUSES CONVENTIONAL 1999
- THOMAS BUILT BUSES SAF-T-LINER C2 2013
- THOMAS BUILT BUSES SAF-T-LINER ER 2000-2002
- THOMAS BUILT BUSES SAF-T-LINER FS65 2003
- THOMAS BUILT BUSES SAF-T-LINER HDX 2013
- THOMAS BUILT BUSES SAF-T-LINER MVP-EF 2000-2002
- THOMAS BUILT BUSES SAF-T-LINER MVP-ER 2000-2002